Riverdale Fire Department, Inc.
4714 Queensbury Road Riverdale Park Maryland   20737 United States
301.883.7707 [MAIN] 301.856.0948 [FAX]

State of Department

State of Department ver.2

iJoomla Twitter Follow

RSS Syndicate

Content View Hits : 862526

Members Login

4714 Queensbury Road
Riverdale ParkMaryland 20737
United States
301.883.7707 [Main]
301.856.0948 [FAX]


Home Fire Safety General Info Exit Drills In The Home (E.D.I.T.H.)
Home Fire Safety Do's and Don'ts PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 02 May 2007 20:00


Smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, automatic sprinklers, and home escape plans are the keys to survival in home fires. More important than those, though, is the developement and practicing of maintaining a fire safe environment.

Some points covered here are discussed in more detail throughout our site and should be thoroughly understood.

Fire Do's and Don'ts

  • Throughout The House
    • DO install a smoke detector on every floor.
    • DO plan your escape routes in case fire does strike.
    • DO have your heating systems checked for blockage and proper mechanical operation each season.
    • DO keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children.
    • DON'T overload electrical outlets or extension cords.
  • Living/Family Room/Den
    • DON'T put ashtrays on chair or sofa arms.
    • DON'T run electrical cords under rugs, over nails or in high traffic areas.
    • DON'T leave unattended cigarettes burning in ashtrays.
    • DON'T staple electrical cords to walls or otherwise pierce the insulation.
  • Bedroom
    • DON'T smoke in bed.
    • DON'T place heaters within three feet of flammable materials.
    • DON'T use heaters to dry clothes.
    • DON'T use extension cords with portable heaters.
    • DON'T leave heaters unattended or go to sleep while they are on.
    • DO unplug heaters after you turn them off. 
  • Kitchen
    • DO purchase a cooking time that will ring until you shut it off. Use it to remind you if you leave the room. 
    • DO keep combustibles off of the cooking area.
    • DO keep appliance cords out of reach of children.
    • DO regularly check for worn cords or damaged plugs.
    • DO keel an ABC rated fire extinguisher in your kitchen.
    • DO check the kitchen before going to bed. Oven off? Coffee pot unplugged?
    • DO - If a fire occurs
      • Turn off the burner.
      • Smother the fire with a lid or shut the oven door.
      • If there is no fire extinguisher, use BAKING SODA to douse open flames.
      • Evacuate the house and call the fire department.
    • DON'T overload electrical outlets.
    • DON'T use the stove or oven to warm yourself or house.
    • DON'T store your fire extinguisher above the stove or oven.
    • DON'T leave food unattended on the stove. If you must leave the kitchen, take a wooden spoon or a potholder as a reminder. 
    • DON'T cook wearing sleeves that can dangle near the burners.
    • DON'T let grease build up on your stove or oven.
    • DON'T let crumbs build up in your toaster.
    • DON'T let curtains hand near your range.
    • DON'T - if a fire occurs
      • risk moving the pot or pan.
      • put water on a grease fire.
      • use flour or BAKING POWDER on ony fire.
      • try to fight any fire that spreads further than the stovetop or oven.